Stuff I Found

Thursday, October 25, 2007

"Information Revolution"



Here's what I said about the video on a forum (easier to copy and paste myself than reword my thoughts):

That video was quite thought-provoking, even if I don't quite understand what it was about...

From what I can tell, it's not the organization with hierarchies and taxonomies that's experiencing a paradigm shift, but the notion that such taxonomies should be designed to be permanent. When dealing with tangible items, like books in a library, it's hard to not be permanent, because otherwise you'd have to physically move all your books around everytime you reorganized.

But digital information has no physical location, and the ability to link one entity to another (such as a YouTube video to a similar video, or a Wikipedia article to another article, or a blog post to another blog post) completely eliminates the need for us to create any sort of hierarchies or taxonomies as they will emerge themselves from all those links (well, we still aid in their creation since we have to create all the content and links). This is a much more efficient form of organization because when organization is an emergent property we don't have to worry about it becoming outdated because it will always update itself with the changing of the information!

Is that right? At least that's what I see in the video... pretty fascinating!

I'll have to put the book Everything Is Miscellaneous on my "To Read" list...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home