Stuff I Found

Thursday, October 04, 2007

"The Outsiders" still makin' money

Well, actually the article is more about what the author's up to now, but it does mention some book sales figures... but I have to wonder, how many buyers of the book buy it because they actually like it? The book is required reading in many classrooms, I think a majority of the buyers are buying it for that reason (that's the reason it's on my shelf). And I've always hated that... required reading that is. Reading with a deadline and being tested on fictional facts and having themes forced down your throat that don't matter to you that completely destroy the book's value. I'm a wannabe [published] author myself, and, even though I'd lose money, I'd have a very hard time condoning the use of a book for "educational purposes." I wonder if that would make it even harder to get published? Publishers of "books for young readers" must be making a good amount of money from school purchases... but I guess it really all depends on how the teachers teach it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home