Stuff I Found

Monday, March 09, 2009

Muziic allows YouTube song streaming

According to this article:

A 15-year-old has created a free-music service by harnessing YouTube's vast library of music videos.

Muziic, created by teen developer David Nelson, has built an iTunes-like interface on top of YouTube. The service enables users to stream YouTube's music to their PCs without fiddling with videos. Users can build playlists and organize songs in a way similar to iTunes.


While it's a nice idea, I don't like it. And if I were YouTube, I certainly wouldn't like it. Here are the problems I see at first glance:

1) Professional record labels (or all artists in general, really) allowing their music to be on YouTube expect their work to be experienced through YouTube. Something like this isn't fair to them, and YouTube owes it to them to prevent it. Some may be okay with it, some may not.

2) As far as I can tell, you have to register to use this Muziic service, which means someone else will have access to and control over a user base and their usage statistics. Even if technically legal, this bothers me in a moral sense because the service isn't providing any of the music or streaming resources at all. I would think this David does want to financially profit from this somehow. That just doesn't seem fair to me since YouTube is providing most of the essential resources. In other words: how can YouTube profit from this, as they should? And what gives anyone else the right to profit from YouTube's resources?

3) The name "Muziic" is just terrible.

However, I think this is still a good idea. To me, it just seems like it's trying to profit too much off of YouTube's resources. As huge and mighty as YouTube is, this just doesn't seem fair to them, and, as someone who composes music and puts it on YouTube myself, it doesn't seem fair to me either. I'd rather see YouTube hire this guy to help improve YouTube with his ideas, with YouTube's permission and oversight.

I think YouTube will probably successfully shut this down, as it should. It will probably anger some people, but I'll have to be on YouTube's side.

3 Comments:

  • I kinda prefer www.listentoyoutube.com .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

  • Hahaha... oh yeah, I forgot to mention services like that, because I've seen quite a few of those, some that allow you to download YouTube videos in various formats or just YouTube audio, as this one does.

    While I still think these services aren't fair to YouTube or YouTube video uploaders, I think there's a lot less YouTube can do about these because they're a bit more ... anonymous. They're not provided as fully-fledged "services", they're provided knowingly as "back doors" into the doing of something they know YouTube doesn't really want. They're not even trying to argue about legality, they're just doing it. YouTube certainly can't get rid of all the "back doors".

    By Blogger Sean Hannifin, at 1:41 AM  

  • Hi Sean,

    Hi Sean,

    I just wanted to stop by and thank you for posting some of your music on YouTube. I came across your lovely "Lullaby for Harp and Whistle" today, and I just introduced it to some of my friends back in Ireland in a blog post:

    http://www.crosaire.paxient.com/2009/03/answers-to-crosaire-no-13791-11-mar-09.html

    I hope to check out more of your work as soon as I get the chance.

    Thanks again,

    Bill

    PS: tried to send a message via you "Contact" feature, but it wouldn't work for me.

    By Blogger Bill Butler, at 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home