Stuff I Found

Monday, December 08, 2008

Why I procrastinate

It's actually very simple... you see...

The psychologist, from the University of Calgary, has subsequently formed an equation for why people procrastinate, which began by studying 250 college students.

The equation is U=EV/ID.

The 'U' stands for utility, or the desire to complete a given task. It is equal to the product of E, the expectation of success, and V the value of completion, divided by the product of I, the immediacy of the task, and D, the personal sensitivity to delay.


Since blogging this article had a U of 933, I simply couldn't procrastinate. Homework, however, usually had a U of 4, so I often procrastinated on that. I blame U! Some people might love U, but I hate U! I hate U, I hate U, I hate U.

2 Comments:

  • What is the gigantic value of completion of the blog?

    Also, shouldn't that equation include perceived difficulty of a task?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 PM  

  • The gigantic value of the completion of the blog is I think around 45,356,343,672.323454 ... I might be off some though...

    I think the perceived difficulty of the task is part of E, expectation of success. I guess you could say

    E = CG*VW/B^PH-(K+EIEIO)

    Where P is the perceived difficulty, C is how much you want to play the computer, G is how good you are, B is if you are in a band, H is how you feel, W is how much water you drank lately, K is how much you weigh in kg, and O is how much you like Oprah.

    The is from a lot of studying I have done personally...

    By Blogger Sean Hannifin, at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home